Sunday, May 18, 2008

New blog

Writing the first post on a new blog is pretty intimidating. I originally decided I wanted to take up internet writing again after Wendy Shalit visited my college to give a talk. While agreeing with most of my classmates that the modern abstinence/modesty movement makes dangerous claims about gender roles (i.e. men are sexual aggressors, while women are sexual objects; men ask for sex, and women refuse sex; men want sex, women want stability), I also came away from conversations with my classmates feeling deeply hurt and alienated. I actually channeled a conservative pundit and accused a friend of, essentially, being an elitist liberal. You see, I'm also a Kansan with no-sex-before-marriage friends whom I respect deeply. And, as someone who doesn't tend to show a lot of skin and who doesn't "hook up" (see? I can't even use the word non-ironically), I've personally felt the pressure and judgement of the sex-positive crowd (though that's a label I tend to use for myself, as well). My original first post was to be a break-down of Shalit's message and my feelings on it from my rather uneasy place in the culture wars, but I couldn't write anything that didn't sound hopelessly self-indulgent, and, frankly, I don't have the time right now. I am finishing up the last of my honors exams in the coming week. So I am starting out slowly. A short post here and there. Inspired by the blogs I've been reading recently (see the side bar!), I mostly want to use this space to talk about feminism, religion, and the Academy, but life updates will probably seep through, as well.

For now, sleep, followed by work (sigh)

No comments: